25 Ways To Have A Fun Reception
As a wedding photographer, I have been to many receptions and I've learned what makes a reception a fun one! I have compiled a list of 25 fun things to do to make sure your reception is a blast!
1. Good DJ/ Playlist
The DJ can truly make or break the wedding! Having a DJ who can change the music to flow with the room is crucial! I also highly recommend if you want everyone on the floor dancing play a song like cupid shuffle or the cha cha slide a song everyone knows! Once they are out on the dance floor people will want to stay!
2. Make sure there is space for a dance floor
If your indoor venue doesn't have a large space inside, but they have a patio area, I recommend having that as your dance floor!!
3. Make sure you are out there dancing and having a good time
This is such an important one!! Probably the most important! You set the tone for your wedding, so if you are relaxed and having fun everyone else will do the same!
4. Be flexible with the timeline
if you realize guests are starting to leave consider doing some of your events earlier than what was scheduled
5. Serve good food
6. Make sure there is something fun if drinks are your thing having his and her cocktail is always fun! If something like an ice cream truck is your jam do that! Just something fun that keeps people engaged!
7. Yard Games
Cornhole, Jenga, etc.
8. Late Night Snack
9. Have glow sticks
10. Photo Booth
11. Shoe Game
12. Keep speeches short
Don’t open the floor for anyone to give a speech this can last up to an hour
13. Have something for the kids
Kid's Bags, Kid's table, etc.
14. Don't take too long after the ceremony for pictures
Having a first look allows you to get to your reception fast!
15. Have a private dinner for the two of you
This way when you enter the reception you both are ready to party and mingle
16. Make sure the reception isn't too long
most receptions last 4- 5 hours
17. Have a fun exit
18. Make sure if you are having a cocktail hour that there is plenty of food,or go ahead and let your guest eat and have your coordinator make you a plate
19. Have multiple desserts
20. Have a bounce House
21. Have a live painter
22. Hire a caricature artist for your reception
23. Have an interactive guest book
24. Have an area for smores outside if your venue allows it
25. Personal touches
Make sure you have personal touches, everyone!! This makes your wedding fun, unique, and very you!!